Number of posts : 21
Age : 23
Country/State : California/United States
Hobbies : Computer, Football, And Basketball
Penguin Username : Jc4x4
Registration date : 2008-08-19
|Subject: Email & Blog on the Same Domain on Wordpress Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 pm|| |
Email and a blog on the same domain
WordPress.com bloggers can now send and receive email from their mapped domains. With just a few clicks, you can configure your DNS records (MX records) to use Google Apps, a service that provides email to domain registrants. A free Google Apps account includes 2GB of space and the ability to set up multiple email mailboxes.
This means you can have your WordPress.com blog AND email addresses on your own domain. There is no extra charge for this. Everyone who has purchased the upgrade can use this feature immediately. The steps to set this up are as follows:
0. Map a top level domain (not subdomain) to your WordPress.com blog.
1. Sign up for Google Apps here. Choose the plan that fits your email needs best.
NOTE: Currently, the only Google Application you will be able to use with your domain is email.
2. Enter your domain name that you already own and have mapped to your WordPress.com blog in Step 2 of the Google registration process.
3. When it’s time to verify domain ownership, choose the “Upload an HTML file” option. We have simplified the process however, so there is no need to upload anything! Once you have chosen this option, you will see a verification code that starts with “google” and ends with a series of random characters. You will need to use this code in the next step, so copy it to the clipboard.
4. Go to the Settings –> Domains menu from your WordPress.com blog’s dashboard. If you have mapped a domain, you should see a link that says “Enable Google MX” in the far right column. Click this link. If you do not see this link then your mapped domain cannot yet have email. We hope to add more email soon.
5. Enter your verification code in the text box that appears and click “Save”
6. Go back to your Google Apps control panel click the link to complete the HTML verification process.
That’s it! You can now setup your email accounts as needed from within the Google Apps control panel. You can then send mail to your mapped domain name and receive it in your new Google mailbox. (It may take several hours for the DNS changes to propagate. Don’t panic.)
Custom urls are not supported.
Your inbox will be protected by Google’s excellent email spam filters. You can access your mail using the GMail web interface for your domain, forward it to another mailbox, set up POP/SMTP, or use smart filters to manage your inbox.
A note about support: WordPress.com does not provide technical support for Google services.
Number of posts : 0
Age : 22
Country/State : England
Penguin Username : Ciha
Registration date : 2008-08-29
|Subject: Re: Email & Blog on the Same Domain on Wordpress Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:13 am|| |